Friday, December 10, 2004

The Un-Usual Suspects

The movie 'The Usual Suspects' , is of much great acclaim among my friends circle, and most of them had to offer comments like "Ammazzinggg movie da machaan" or "You are useless da if you haven't seen it till now".These comments and much more are held copyrighted by my friends - KR, Ananth and others.

So one day I went to KR's house and in a spree of CD-writing activity I also burned one CD for 'The Usual Suspects'.I had this movie in my computer, in addition to '
The Shawshank Redemption' and 'Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind'.

Strangely I had somehow gotten to watch 'TSR' and 'ESOTSM'.(I, infact watched 'TSR' around four times and 'ESOTSM' once, the latter of which I downloaded.).But, with 'The Usual Suspects' I had some problem.It was a jinx! Every time I would begin to watch this movie, I would be interrupted by my mother( for carrying out some daily chores ) or by my brother ( again for some stupid reason ) and sometimes by the call of nature ( which ain't so stupid reason ) after which I would get distracted from the routine for all those obvious 'stupid' and 'not so stupid' reasons.So every time I would get to watch the first 10 minutes and thats it!!!

So yesterday at around 9:00 P.M. IST ,I decided to break the jinx. I took a vow as to not get disturbed this time, come whatever!I remember my friends saying that the first 10 minutes of the movie is what you will understand at the end or that you'll have to watch the first 10 minutes again in order to gain complete perspective.But to me things didn't go that way.So I was watching the first 10 minutes of the movie for the fifth time I guess.Effectively 40 minutes spent more than what was required for a person seeing the movie for the first time.

So I watched the movie.Yup, I watched it and it was "simply ammmaazzzinnngg movie da machaan".A brilliant plot, an impeccable screenplay, a gripping storyline, a direction beyond description, a most befitting cast and above all 1 hour and 45 minutes of complete excitement - thats 'The Usual Suspects' for you.

The story is about five criminals who get together in a police line-up and subsequently make other plans after their release.How they go about with their lives wherein they pull off a couple of hot-shot encounters and their attempt to make money out of a drug deal by doing the job for a mysterious person known as 'Kaiser Sose' are not the only things you will witness, but much more.


Kevin Spacey in his role as 'Kint' is the best actor out of the lot, clearly without any debate, so much so that this role won Spacey his first oscar as 'Best Supporting Actor'.Apart from him Benicio del Toro is also exremely funny in his role as 'Fenster'.Also Stephen Baldwin in his role as 'McManus' is amazingly humourous when in the police line-up he is made to say a line which goes like this - "Hand me the keys, you fucking cock-sucker!" He is Fenster's partner in crime.Gabriel Byrne as 'Dean Keaton' and Kevin Pollak as 'Hockney' are the other criminals in the gang of five, who have also acted out their roles well.Pete Postlethwaite as the intriguing 'Kobayashi' with his amazingly clear accent and Chazz Palminterri as 'Dave Kujan', the interrogating officer belonging to the US customs are the other notable actors who play pivotal roles in this movie.In the end, I must say indeed one of the most amazing screenplays I have ever seen, which is by Christopher McQuarrie and god-level direction by Bryan Singer.This movie simply goes into my all-time favourite movies list.

For people who are going to watch the movie for the first time please don't go about waching the first 10 minutes for about 5 times or more trying to beat the '50 minute record' that I set up before watching this movie as you will be left less intrigued after the movie and will not watch the first 10 minutes again.I lost the fun on that account I must say.But this movie is definitely worth watching and I am already banging my head as to why I didn't watch it earlier( completely! ).

I'll leave you with my favourite dialogue from the movie which goes something like this if I remember right -

"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was in making the world believe he didn't exist."

5 Comments:

At 6:03 PM, Blogger venkatesh said...

although it is a good movie, the direction was pathetic.
i am amazed that you call it "god-levelled".

especially the scene where the five are locked into a cell, and the conversation that takes place after that ,lacked depth and could have been a lot more powerful.

and the navy pier backdrop during the climax was very superficial for an actual heist. if there ever was a heist like that in real life, even a dollar would be too much for that kinda thieves to handle.

but i acknowledge the fact the script was really good which along with kevin spacey are the only two things noticable in the film,others do not deserve as much praise.

(P.S) The actual spelling of Kaiser Sose is "Keyser Soze". can you give me ESOTSM anytime soon???

 
At 10:38 AM, Blogger Arun said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 10:48 AM, Blogger Arun said...

may be the conversation in lock up could have been a bit longer.but consider this-these conmen are getting to know each other well and are ruffians...so conv was apt.but i get ur point.

hey the pier scene was pretty okay and i didn't find it that awful as to clearly call it 'artificial'.by the heist is about drug and not dollars in the ship.

just kevin spacey and script thats it?? i thought the screenplay deserved a pat on the back too.

and point noted about 'keyzer soze'

i have ETSOSM in one CD and will give u on monday(re-opening day)

 
At 10:50 AM, Blogger Arun said...

hey and direction in my opinion was god-level.Bryan Singer simply rocks!!

 
At 7:55 PM, Blogger Arun said...

guys it seems 'script' refers to screenplay and venki was gracious enough to save my face by telling it to me in person, but if i am posting a comment about it here it is in view of projecting a gentleman.(the question is who is that?).....thanx venki

 

Post a Comment

<< Home